[arin-ppml] A compromise on legacy space?

Jeremy H. Griffith jhg at omsys.com
Wed Sep 10 17:09:30 EDT 2008

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 11:49:35 -0400, "Robert E. Seastrom"
<ppml at rs.seastrom.com> wrote:

>That said, I think quibbling about $25 vs $100 for the yearly fee is
>really kind of missing the point - ARIN has been charging $100/year
>for directory services for ASNs for a long time.  That's $100/year to
>keep your OrgID warm and make contact periodically, it has nothing to
>do with the size of the allocation or number of objects your OrgID
>points at...  if you (like I) have two legacy /24s and a legacy ASN,
>your cost per year is still $100.

True, but the idea here is *outreach* to people who are used to
paying $0 per year.  Any way we can reduce the perception of a
barrier will help induce them to sign.  Any barriers we leave up
will do the opposite.  Like it or not, outside of ARIN the only
Internet registration service most people are used to is the
domain name registry, so that becomes the standard of comparison.
By that standard, $25 is reasonable and $100 is outlandish, no
matter what those who have been paying $100 for years may think.

In that perspective, I think the $25 idea, which more than one
person on list has considered reasonable, will help further the
goal of signing up all legacy holders who are still breathing.
It's not a "quibble".  IMHO.

--JHG <jhg at omsys.com>