[arin-ppml] A compromise on legacy space?

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Tue Sep 9 15:55:19 EDT 2008

In a message written on Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 01:24:49PM -0600, J. R. Westmoreland wrote:
> I still have a hard time choking down $100 for my /24 address block when
> someone, say like my previous employer, pays that same $100 for an address
> space /16, 256 times larger than mine.

The fee is about cost recovery for ARIN (it is a non-profit after
all).  Unfortunately the level of work for a /24 and a /16 are
remarkably similar, both are one entry in whois, both are one set
of NS records in in-addr.arpa, both are one bill to send, one check
to collect.

I would look towards the Board for guidence on fees.  They set fees,
and can get input on what true cost recovery is, including the
appropriate buffers and such.  If they came back and said $25 a
year, I'd be happy.  If they came back and said $250, I'd be happy
too.  If it was made sliding based on the size (as many fees are
today) that's great as well.

My sense is we can get the fees low enough, particularly on group
#2 that they are a non-issue.