[arin-ppml] A compromise on legacy space?

Lee Dilkie Lee at dilkie.com
Tue Sep 9 18:26:52 EDT 2008

Leo Bicknell wrote:
> In a message written on Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 01:24:49PM -0600, J. R. Westmoreland wrote:
>
>> I still have a hard time choking down $100 for my /24 address block when
>> someone, say like my previous employer, pays that same $100 for an address
>> space /16, 256 times larger than mine.
>>

> The fee is about cost recovery for ARIN (it is a non-profit after
> all).  Unfortunately the level of work for a /24 and a /16 are
> remarkably similar, both are one entry in whois, both are one set
> of NS records in in-addr.arpa, both are one bill to send, one check
> to collect.

I find it hard to believe, in this day of $169 Terabyte drives, that
*one* entry , that doesn't change, in a database would cost anything
close to $1, never mind $100. And I also suspect that the number of
in-addr and whois lookups for my /24 would be a tiny miniscule fraction
of those for a /8 and the bandwidth cost would be next to nothing.

As for all the other services ARIN provides, outreach, meetings, etc,
etc. Frankly, legacy owners don't need, or use, any of it.

Is there an way to create a separate "legacy" RIR to simply maintain
existing legacy records, whois and in-addr. Minimal staff (one would
likely suffice). Let them paid the costs. I find that the arin-ppml list
is obsessed with issues from the 90's while matters for 2010 and beyond
are languishing.

-lee