[arin-ppml] ARIN releases new version of the Legacy Registration

Eric Westbrook arin-ppml at westbrook.com
Sun Sep 7 08:50:09 EDT 2008

Here are my most up to date observations, as I try to keep the issues simple
and clear (in my own mind, anyway), then a conclusion:

1.  Many legacy holders (myself included) want to formalize a relationship
with ARIN, and even engage in financial participation;

2.  Many legacy holders (myself included) are reluctant, to put it mildly,
to sacrifice ultimate control of their number resources -- and even more so
to pay for the dubious privilege;

3.  The integrity of whois data and financial support of ARIN seem to be the
community's best fundamental motivations for legacy holder agreements, even
if some would advocate the more controversial purposes of reallocation,
reclamation, or revocation;

4.  All parties have good reasons to discourage the escalation of
disagreements to the level of governmental intervention, especially for
issues that we all should be able to resolve together;

5.  If any legacy holdings are to be seized, the prevailing sentiment seems
to prefer doing so with the unreachable and/or apathetic holders, and not
with the cooperative and participating ones;

6.  Finally, by many if not all accounts, reallocating, reclaiming, and/or
revoking legacy holdings simply isn't likely to ameliorate ipv4 exhaustion
(or ramifications thereof) to any truly significant or meaningful degree.

Given all of these observations taken together, it seems clear to me that
involuntary reallocation, reclamation, and revocation of legacy ipv4 number
resources should be explicitly disavowed in the LRSA for those that sign
it.  The value of bringing such holders into a cooperative relationship for
consideration and participation seems to far outweigh the spoils of any
actual or potential forcible control over the resources.

Thanks again for considering my opinions for discussion.  Corrections of my
misunderstandings, illumination of error in my biases, or contrary
observations, are welcome and encouraged as always.

Best regards,
Eric