[arin-ppml] the Transfer Policy Argument Space

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Sep 3 18:35:39 EDT 2008

Referencing:

http://odin.chrisgrundemann.com/Do_I_Support_A_Liberalized_Transfer_Policy.jpg

It took me a while to wrap my head around the graph, but, once I
managed,
I realized that this is an EXCELLENT summary of the questions.

I think that falling out to (2) from "Are liberalized address transfers
helpful to maintain the/a IPv4 internet?" is premature and that this
should, instead, drop to the entry point to "Will speculators and
profiteers..."

Otherwise, I think it pretty much reflects the current reality.

I will also point out that this can be summarized as "A transfer
policy is
only a good idea if you answer in exactly the correct way through a very
long series of vary uncertain variables."

I, for one, would very much love to hear a direct answer to 4e and
the subsequent opposing question from Steve Ryan.  My impression
so far is that they are approximately equal, but, I do not feel like
I have received any clear indication from Steve on this.

OTOH, I suspect that it may be very hard for Steve to do so as these
could be very uncertain.

Owen

Disclaimer: I'm a member of the AC, but, this message is not from the
AC.  Opinions contained are strictly mine. The other 14 members
each have their own opinions. I am not sure to what extent they
overlap or not.

Apology: Steve, sorry if I put you on the spot with this.