[arin-ppml] The LRSA $100 fee...

Thomas Narten narten at us.ibm.com
Wed Sep 3 17:25:45 EDT 2008

"Milton L Mueller" <mueller at syr.edu> writes:

> What we were discussing, if you will recall, is whether Whois accuracy
> in 2008 is better than it was in 1999, when competition was instituted.
> Are you able to credibly contest this claim? Or not? If not, what
> exactly is your point, Tom?

Can you cite data to support the claim that DNS whois compliance is
"better" than it was in 1999? I suspect there are statistics that
could be used to support either case (think the adage that "there are
lies, damn lies, and statistics"). And it probably depends quite a lot
on how you define "accurate" (e.g., is it "accurate" if the whois data
points to a third party rather than the actual owner?).

I say this because I have regularly heard (on the ICANN side) that
whois data is becoming increasingly inaccurate, and that this is
problematic (to some).

Thomas