[arin-ppml] the Transfer Policy Argument Space

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Wed Sep 3 09:20:11 EDT 2008

I'm hearing many different arguments related to the transfer policy.  I've
come to the conclusion that this is a very complicated argument space we
are dealing with and I don't think everyone is seeing the whole argument
landscape, I know I'm having problems with this.  As things exist currently,
I'm not sure we can come to any consensus, not even a consensus to drop
the issue.

Therefore, in this thread I would like some help to map out the argument
space we are working with.  I would like us to intentionally simplify the
arguments and gloss over many of the nuances.  What I'm asking for us to
do is map out the breath and shape of the argument space we are dealing
with here, rather than to perfectly capture the nuances of each argument.

If you want to argue the merits of some part of the argument, please do that
as part of another thread.  If possible I would like help in this thread to
clearly and dispassionately state the various parts of the argument, not to
argue it.

So to that end, I'm going try to start, this is only a start, please help by
adding or refining the arguments, but argue them in different threads please:

1. IPv6 is a failure and can not succeed, therefore we must extend the life of
IPv4 indefinitely beyond free poll exhaustion, a transfer policy is part of that;

2. IPv6 will eventually succeed, however we need to keep IPv4 viable until
the transiton is complete, a transfer policy will help keep IPv4 viable beyond
free poll exhaustion;

3. IPv6 will eventually succeed, but only if there is a forcing function to move
people from IPv4, free poll exhaustion is this forcing function;

David Farmer				     Email:	farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
Networking & Telecomunication Services
University of Minnesota			     Phone:	612-626-0815
2218 University Ave SE			     Cell:		612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029		     FAX:	612-626-1818