[arin-ppml] The LRSA $100 fee...

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 14:29:26 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 8:26 PM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:
<OT/chalk n cheese stuff snipped>
> the next couple years. Does that make you happy? Does it make you lick
> your lips at how big and wealthy ARIN can become if you play your cards
> right?

See John Curran's remarks at the beginning of this thread:

<quote>
"Okay, to be clear, ARIN's got a surplus today but that's a good
thing.  We've lowered fees 5 times, added new services, and I
know that I'll at least advocate that continue to reduce fees and
increase services to the extent that seems financially prudent.

If one takes a very long term view, it's clear that there will not
be a lot of allocation activity with IPv6 (i.e. folks coming back
for additional blocks ;-) and it's uncertain whether there will be
much IPv6 policy activity.  It's a valid question as to what level
of subscription to registration services is needed when someone
doesn't anticipating putting in their next Internet resource request
within the same decade, and hence what fees should apply.  For
reference (from the online Annual Report), subscription services
fees made up just over 85% of ARIN's total receipts, so any
significant change in the nature of subscription services or fees
could have a significant impact on ARIN's overall finances.

</quote>

In other words, IIUC, ARIN will never be "big and wealthy", your
comparison with ICANN isn't useful.

--
Cheers,

McTim