[arin-ppml] IPv4 is depleted today

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Tue Sep 2 15:21:07 EDT 2008

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> It is imperative that our policy making strive to increase
> ease of moving to IPv6 and decrease ease of staying with IPv4.
>
> A liberalized transfer policy does nothing to increase ease of
> moving to IPv6, all it does is make it easier to stay on IPv4.

I think you just identified a key point of disagreement / philosophical
difference.

To my mind the idea that "we need to adopt policy to make people's lives
harder", in the interest of promoting our idea of their long-term best
interest, is an extraordinary claim that requires extraordinary evidence
that the benefits outweigh the harms.

I'm all in favor of easing the move to IPv6.  However, I think we also
need to do what we can to ease the transition across the board.

-Scott