[arin-ppml] IPv4 is depleted today

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Tue Sep 2 17:24:43 EDT 2008

But nobody who is against a liberalized transfer policy is asking
that we adopt ANYTHING.  They are asking that we DO NOT adopt
anything.

> I'm all in favor of easing the move to IPv6.  However, I
> think we also
> need to do what we can to ease the transition across the board.

Your right.  I hope you define "transition" as I do, meaning
in this instance CHANGE from IPv4 to IPv6, and NOT meaning
continue to use IPv4 and ignoring IPv6.

Would you be willing to tie a liberalized policy to a requirement
that the transferee (ie: the party that is obtaining the IPv4 as
a result of a liberalized transfer) submit a transition plan to
IPv6 to ARIN, and some reasonable proof that they were actually
doing some of the items on it?  Such as obtaining IPv6 allocations
from ARIN?  And such as providing the date their feed is going to
natively route IPv6 and the date that they plan to do so as well?
And maybe some mandatory followup by ARIN a few years later to
insure these things are being done?

If not, what a transfer policy does is allow the status quo to
continue UNCHANGED.  That is NOT transition.

Ted