[arin-ppml] fee schedule

Howard, W. Lee Lee.Howard at stanleyassociates.com
Wed Oct 22 17:00:15 EDT 2008

> Jo Rhett said:
> > http://www.arin.net/billing/fee_schedule.html#waivers
>
> Howard, I'd like to point out that this page is darn near
> indecipherable by most people.

Yeah.  I'm sorry.  I've spent hours trying to simplify it,
to make it easier to read.  I took a day off of work to
spend time with writers at ARIN to make it make more sense.
The fact that it's hard to read already is part of the
reason I resist additional complexity.

> And I just reread it, and now I'm even more confused than I
> was originally.  From what I can see, acquiring a simple IPv6
> block for testing/deployment in our network will make us
> liable for $9k a year within 4 years.  Why on god's green
> earth would I want to do that?

I'm going to use several cases, even though most of them don't
apply to you. . .

If you're an end-user, you pay a one-time fee for your IPv6
assignment, then $100 maintenance per year.  Most
organizations who aren't ISPs fall in this category, and
probably qualify for an IPv6 /32, for which the initial fee
is $2,250.
http://www.arin.net/billing/fee_schedule.html#ipv6_assign

If you're an ISP, and already have an IPv4 allocation from
ARIN that you're paying for annually ($1250-18000 per year),
you pay no initial allocation fee for you IPv6 allocation.
You then only pay the renewal fee on your IPv4 or your IPv6
allocation, whichever fee is larger.
http://www.arin.net/billing/fee_schedule.html#ipv6_alloc
http://www.arin.net/billing/fee_schedule.html#waivers

If you're an ISP and not paying annual renewal fees to ARIN
(either because you have a legacy allocation or because you
only have space from your upstream), then you pay the
initial IPv6 allocation fee ($2250 up to an IPv6 /32,
$4500 up to an IPv6 /30, $9000 up to an IPv6 /27).  The
annual renewal fee is the same as the initial fee, but we've
waived part of it for the next few years (waived 75% for 2009,
50% for 2010, 25% for 2011).

If you're in the latter category, I could speculate on why
you might or might not want to get an IPv6 allocation from
ARIN, but I'm not sure my speculation would be useful.  You
might want to be able to reach IPv6 hosts, or you might
need address space when there are no more IPv4 addresses to
allocate.  If you just want some for lab testing, there are
several blocks reserved by RFC5156 (and other RFCs) you
might use.

I know you'd already figured out your situation, but I
hope this helps somebody.

Lee