[arin-ppml] fee schedule and allocation

Alan Batie alan at batie.org
Wed Oct 22 17:38:41 EDT 2008

Howard, W. Lee wrote:

> I'm going to use several cases, even though most of them don't
> apply to you. . .
>
> If you're an end-user, you pay a one-time fee for your IPv6
> assignment, then $100 maintenance per year.  Most
> organizations who aren't ISPs fall in this category, and
> probably qualify for an IPv6 /32, for which the initial fee
> is $2,250.
> http://www.arin.net/billing/fee_schedule.html#ipv6_assign
>
> If you're an ISP, and already have an IPv4 allocation from
> ARIN that you're paying for annually ($1250-18000 per year),
> you pay no initial allocation fee for you IPv6 allocation.
> You then only pay the renewal fee on your IPv4 or your IPv6
> allocation, whichever fee is larger.
> http://www.arin.net/billing/fee_schedule.html#ipv6_alloc
> http://www.arin.net/billing/fee_schedule.html#waivers

Having just done so under the latter case, I have a couple of questions,
ok, one question derived from two cases:

1.  One of our customers said something about trying to get an end-user
block and couldn't.

2.  I thought /32, i.e. 4 billion networks, was insanely large for us
and we're an ISP (albeit a small regional).  I'd asked for a /48 and was
told that /32 was the minimum being given out (which I can almost
understand, actually, though I think /40 would have still been plenty).

What is actually being handed out now?