[arin-ppml] fee schedule

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Wed Oct 22 20:20:46 EDT 2008

On Oct 22, 2008, at 4:19 PM, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
>>> An organization will receive an invoice for its ARIN annual
>>> maintenance fee two months before the fee is due. The due date
>>> for  fees is the last day of the month in which an organization's
>>> anniversary date occurs.  An anniversary date is the day on which
>>> an  organization received its first resource from ARIN. Payment
>>> must be  made by the due date, in accordance with the Registration
>>> Services  Agreement. If fees are not paid, the number resources
>>> related to the  invoice will be subject to revocation.
>>>
>>> When a single Org ID has more than one resource registered with
>>> ARIN  (e.g. AS numbers, IPv4 or IPv6 assignments, or network
>>> transfers),  ARIN charges only a single maintenance fee of $100
>>> annually.
>>>

>> The next section is online payments.  So my question is not
>> answered.   So I scan the entire document and .. guess what,
>> there's not a single  table in the document labeled "annual
>> maintenance fees".  What is my  annual maintenance fee?  How do I
>> figure this out?
>>

> See above (in your own quote) where it says "ARIN charges only a
> single maintenance fee of $100 annually."  That is the maintenance
> fee for end-user orgs, regardless of how many resources you have or
> how big they are.

Ah, but this paragraph is not in the end-user section of the
document.  It's in a completely different section.  So when I'm
reading it, I'm thinking "okay, why are we paying >$4k a year then?"

> I do think the wording could be a bit clearer, and the differences
> between end-user and LIR fees are definitely not clear enough for
> those who aren't aware of the distinction between "assignment" and
> "allocation".  Even here on PPML, folks use the wrong term on a
> daily basis.
>
> Suggestion to Lee: Break up the document into an LIR section, an End-
> User section and a Legacy End-User section.  Each section would
> describe the fees for new resources of each type (except legacy,
> obviously) and annual maintenance.  That would eliminate a lot of
> jumping around.

I agree.

> I haven't found any examples of that yet, but I agree that it's
> tough to read in its current arrangement.

Is that a challenge to find more?  I'm tempted, but frankly need to
focus on other things right now :-(

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek