[arin-ppml] "Millions of Internet Addresses Are Lying Idle"(slashdot)

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Wed Oct 22 14:52:40 EDT 2008

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> [...]

There are many orphaned POCs and even OrgIDs that are (or were)
associated with an RSA contractee somehow.  Most are probably stale.

> By definition, an org that isn't paying it's bill is no longer a RSA contractee.  (ie: they have broken their contract) and ARIN would remove numbering resources allocated to it, thus "orphaning" all the POCs.

That's not the only reason that records get orphaned.

> I presumed she wouldn't care if orphan POC data was stale.

IMHO _any_ stale information in a database is a Bad Thing(tm).  If we
don't want to spend the effort to clean up stale orphans, they should be
deleted.

>> However, I don't think that is the problem Jo was referring to.  That an org's Accounts Payable department pays an invoice on time does _not_
>> guarantee that all the various POCs listed on each of their
>> registrations are still valid.
>>

> Both you and Jo are asserting here that ARIN billing addressing info
> is separate from the POC info associated with that org.  Do EITHER of you
> have ANY authoratative statement from anyone at ARIN that states this?

Directly from ARIN staff?  Not me.  However, it's a trivial thing to
look up my own employer's records and see stale and/or orphaned POCs and
OrgIDs, and if we weren't paying our bills I presume our ASN would have
been taken away by now.  I thus deduce it is possible, though I'm open
to correction.

> Because if you do, I feel another NPRM policy proposal change suggestion
> coming on...

Are you proposing that a "billing" contact be added, in addition to the
"admin", "tech", "abuse", and "noc" contacts?

None of the existing (or at least visible) POC types necessarily has
anything to do with the name/address where invoices are mailed, which is
all that receipt of payment validates.  Besides, an org could have
hundreds or thousands of networks, each with different tech/abuse/noc
contacts, any one of which could be stale; how could paying one invoice,
sent to some Accounts Payable person, validate all of them?