[arin-ppml] "Millions of Internet Addresses Are Lying Idle"(slashdot)

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Wed Oct 22 15:41:30 EDT 2008

whois is a relational database.

When you request numbering and receive it and an account is opened
that you start paying a bill on, ARIN assigns you an ORG id and
relates that to the network numbering you got.  When you create your
POCs you relate them to the network numbering.  When the numbering is
queried it shows those relations.

When the legacy networks were put into whois at ARINs formation they
were assigned POC handles as well.

It is a simple matter to take the list of currently billed orgs and
query whois for all of the POC handles, then take that list of POC
handles and query every non-legacy network to make sure that one
of those POC handles is related to a network.

Fundamentally, every allocated network either needs to be related to
a currently billed org or be on the inherited legacy list.

Sure, it's true a particular POC data might go stale, but for us to care
about it, that POC must be related to a network, that network is related
to an ORG id and if that org ID is no longer paying their bills and
not on the legacy list, then that network and all related POCs need to
go away from whois.

Ted