[arin-ppml] "Millions of Internet Addresses Are Lying Idle"(slashdot)

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Wed Oct 22 14:19:01 EDT 2008

Stephen,

  You missed Jo's original statement, I'll repost it here:

"...Asking ARIN to
validate POC data for RSA contractees is like reminding the teacher to
show up in class.  It is function 1 of their job.  Why aren't they
doing it?..."

Jo wasn't concerned with orphaned POCs but rather with RSA contractees
that had stale POC data.  By definition, an org that isn't paying it's
bill is no longer a RSA contractee.  (ie: they have broken their contract)
and ARIN would remove numbering resources allocated to it, thus
"orphaning" all the POCs.  I presumed she wouldn't care if orphan
POC data was stale.

> This isn't news, nor is it necessarily bad.  Orphan POCs do not cause
> any problems other than taking up a few extra bytes in the database.

Well, actually there is one problem and that is of searching, it makes
it a bit more difficult.  A minor one, though.

> However, I don't think that is the problem Jo was referring
> to.  That an
> org's Accounts Payable department pays an invoice on time does _not_
> guarantee that all the various POCs listed on each of their
> registrations are still valid.

Both you and Jo are asserting here that ARIN billing addressing info
is separate from the POC info associated with that org.  Do EITHER of you
have ANY authoratative statement from anyone at ARIN that states this?

Because if you do, I feel another NPRM policy proposal change suggestion
coming on...

Ted