[arin-ppml] "Millions of Internet Addresses Are Lying Idle" (slashdot)

Paul Vixie vixie at isc.org
Tue Oct 21 15:42:28 EDT 2008

> From: Jo Rhett <jrhett at svcolo.com>
>
> On Oct 21, 2008, at 11:54 AM, Paul Vixie wrote:
> > to expect that one full time person working less than one year would be
> > able to counter and/or reset that expectation seems incredibly
> > unrealistic.
>
> As demonstrated by the absolute zero effort put into this by ARIN to
> date.  Somewhere between (a) oh god, let's not offend the legacy holders
> and (b) we can't win against the legacy holders - ARIN sits idle.

let me be clear that even if the above-quoted text from me was the arin
board's view (of which it probably does not but in any case i would not
be the spokesman), then the idleness of which you speak would still be
due to the staff's and board's responsibility to act on approved policy
rather than on our own views.  if you want arin to become non-idle toward
reclaimation, then you can follow the IRPEP, and if the ARIN AC puts forth
a policy in this area and the board certifies that the IRPEP was followed,
then the staff will become non-idle in the way you're measuring here.

> What is amusing is that not only is not all idle space in the hands of
> legacy holders (most of what I personally know about was assigned under
> the RSA) but not all legacy holders are even aware of the transfer
> proposals.

more outreach would be a wonderful thing.  please suggest ways that ARIN can
do more to tell all legacy holders about these transfer policies.

> As Stephen said so much better than I did, failing to even attempt
> this will guarantee the failure of ARIN.

there are many things that might happen.  we might end up with
double/triple NAT or a black market or rapid IPv6 deployment or the death
of ARIN.  but there is only one thing that absolutely will happen.  IPv4
space will run out.