[arin-ppml] "Millions of Internet Addresses Are Lying Idle" (slashdot)

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Tue Oct 21 15:25:30 EDT 2008

On Oct 21, 2008, at 11:54 AM, Paul Vixie wrote:
> to expect that one full time person working less than one year would
> be able
> to counter and/or reset that expectation seems incredibly unrealistic.

As demonstrated by the absolute zero effort put into this by ARIN to
date.  Somewhere between (a) oh god, let's not offend the legacy
holders and (b) we can't win against the legacy holders - ARIN sits
idle.  What is amusing is that not only is not all idle space in the
hands of legacy holders (most of what I personally know about was
assigned under the RSA) but not all legacy holders are even aware of
the transfer proposals.

As Stephen said so much better than I did, failing to even attempt
this will guarantee the failure of ARIN.

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek

Silicon Valley Colocation