[arin-ppml] "Millions of Internet Addresses Are Lying Idle" (slashdot)

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Tue Oct 21 16:31:03 EDT 2008

On Oct 21, 2008, at 12:42 PM, Paul Vixie wrote:
> let me be clear that even if the above-quoted text from me was the
> arin
> board's view (of which it probably does not but in any case i would
> not
> be the spokesman), then the idleness of which you speak would still be
> due to the staff's and board's responsibility to act on approved
> policy
> rather than on our own views.

Honestly, read the RSA.   It very clearly says that if the POC data is
not kept up to date, it's a violation of contract.  Asking ARIN to
validate POC data for RSA contractees is like reminding the teacher to
show up in class.  It is function 1 of their job.  Why aren't they
doing it?

> if you want arin to become non-idle toward
> reclaimation, then you can follow the IRPEP, and if the ARIN AC puts
> forth
> a policy in this area and the board certifies that the IRPEP was
> followed,
> then the staff will become non-idle in the way you're measuring here.

You often mention not wasting effort on lost causes.  I sat there for
2 days and watched several very useful and long overdue efforts get
completely shut down based not on their own merits (there was no
discussion of their merits), but because of protectionism of the
legacy holders "rights".  Rights which were never given in the first
place, and were well understood by all parties at the time to not mean
ownership.  Paul, you were there getting allocations in the 1980s just
like I was and you know this as well as I do.

The only other very strong motivational factor I've seen witnessed by
ARIN board and AC was an almost apparently desire to slam IPv6 down
everyone's throat as the only apparent way to solve the legacy space
problems.

Both of these are small-minded policies without any apparent awareness
of the impact on people and businesses worldwide.  During an economic
downturn, even.  I can easily recognize this kind of reasoning
displayed often in small membership societies, local governments, etc.

Given what I've witnessed in action there, there's no reason to even
attempt to participate beyond minor definition fixes which I have
already committed to help out with.  I'm not given to pissing upwind.
It's never worked very well for me in the past.

(I will agree that this conversation is likely pissing upwind, and I'm
done with it after this message)

>> What is amusing is that not only is not all idle space in the hands
>> of
>> legacy holders (most of what I personally know about was assigned
>> under
>> the RSA) but not all legacy holders are even aware of the transfer
>> proposals.
>
> more outreach would be a wonderful thing.  please suggest ways that
> ARIN can
> do more to tell all legacy holders about these transfer policies.

Is that a benefit?  I'm suggesting that ARIN reach out and ask people
to return unused space.  How much effort would that take?  Seriously?
I'd also like to point out that a lot of people said exactly the same
thing at the microphone.

>> As Stephen said so much better than I did, failing to even attempt
>> this will guarantee the failure of ARIN.
>
> there are many things that might happen.  we might end up with
> double/triple NAT or a black market or rapid IPv6 deployment or the
> death
> of ARIN.  but there is only one thing that absolutely will happen.
> IPv4
> space will run out.

I never doubted that.  I asked if making it run out faster was useful
to anyone.  Really.

A minimal effort which could have significant useful impact is being
avoided for reasons explained only by "it might let people
procrastinate".

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek