[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 2008-4 - Staff Assessment

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Mon Oct 13 19:59:32 EDT 2008

On 10 Oct 2008 Bill Darte wrote:

> Personally, I have no problem with your conclusion that a more
> generalized proposal should emerge.

Actually, I'm not sure we need to generalize it like I was thinking earlier.

> Given that, the central issue is that the proposal should change scope.
> And, it has two possible solutions in time.
> 1. We can support the existing proposal and have two successful examples
> (hopefully), that being the African community support and then the
> Caribbean....and then introduce another more generalized proposal.
> Or 2. we can abandon the existing proposal because it is not general
> enough and propose the more general.
>
> I see little service in later, compared to the former.
>
> Bill Darte
> ARIN AC

Actually, I think we can proceed with the proposal mostly as it currently is, I
have what I think is one small change, and maybe some clarifying language
that optionally could be added.

But first I need to set things up a little bit;  I've been doing some research
and a bit of thinking about this in the past few days.  Lets take a look at what
currently the ARIN Staff seems to understand as being included in the
proposal.

ANGUILLA  - Caribbean Sea, CARICOM Associate Member, Caribbean
Telecommunications Union Member Member

ANTIGUA AND BARBUDA  - Caribbean Sea, CARICOM full Member,
Caribbean Telecommunications Union Member

BAHAMAS - Atlantic Ocean, CARICOM full Member, Caribbean
Telecommunications Union Member

BARBADOS - Caribbean Sea, CARICOM full Member	, Caribbean
Telecommunications Union Member

BERMUDA - Atlantic Ocean, CARICOM Associate Member

CAYMAN ISLANDS  - Caribbean Sea, CARICOM Associate Member,
Caribbean Telecommunications Union Member

DOMINICA  - Caribbean Sea, CARICOM full Member, Caribbean
Telecommunications Union Member

GRENADA  - Caribbean Sea, CARICOM full Member, Caribbean
Telecommunications Union Member

GUADELOUPE  - Caribbean Sea

JAMAICA  - Caribbean Sea, CARICOM full Member, Caribbean
Telecommunications Union Member

MARTINIQUE  - Caribbean Sea

MONTSERRAT  - Caribbean Sea, CARICOM full Member, Caribbean
Telecommunications Union Member

PUERTO RICO  - Caribbean Sea, CARICOM Observer

SAINT BARTHELEMY  - Caribbean Sea

SAINT KITTS AND NEVIS  - Caribbean Sea, CARICOM full Member,
Caribbean Telecommunications Union Member

SAINT LUCIA  - Caribbean Sea, CARICOM full Member, Caribbean
Telecommunications Union Member

SAINT VINCENT AND THE GRENADINES  - Caribbean Sea, CARICOM
full Member, Caribbean Telecommunications Union Member

ST. MARTIN - Caribbean Sea

TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS - Atlantic Ocean, CARICOM Associate
Member, Caribbean Telecommunications Union Member

VIRGIN ISLANDS (BRITISH) - Caribbean Sea, CARICOM Associate
Member, Caribbean Telecommunications Union Member

VIRGIN ISLANDS (U.S.) - Caribbean Sea

So being only slightly hyper technical here, the BAHAMAS, BERMUDA, and
the TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS are not actually in the Caribbean Sea
they are in the Atlantic Ocean.  So from a precise geographic point of view
they are not part of the Caribbean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribbean

I'll grant you most people probably consider the BAHAMAS and the TURKS
AND CAICOS ISLANDS as part of the Caribbean Region, they are in the
same general area and mostly contagious with the Caribbean.  However, I'm
not sure most people would consider BERMUDA as part of the Caribbean
Region, it is 800 to 900 miles mostly north across open ocean.

Politically, the Caribbean Community (CARICOM), includes the BAHAMAS
as a full member, BERMUDA, and the TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS are
associate members.  However,  GUADELOUPE, MARTINIQUE, SAINT
BARTHELEMY, ST. MARTIN, and VIRGIN ISLANDS (U.S.) don't seem to
be part of CARICOM, and PUERTO RICO is only listed as an Observer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribbean_Community
http://www.caricom.org/jsp/community/member_states.jsp?menu=communit

So how about the Caribbean Telecommunications Union, well BERMUDA,
GUADELOUPE, MARTINIQUE, PUERTO RICO, SAINT BARTHELEMY,
ST. MARTIN, and VIRGIN ISLANDS (U.S.) are not members.

http://www.ctu.int/ctu/AbouttheCTU/MemberStates/tabid/60/Default.aspx

So, how did we come up with the list above?  What was the criteria use to
justify them all as part of the Caribbean?

I suggest we go with a slightly expanded geographically based definition
"Atlantic and Caribbean Region".  This is a minor change that I think more
accurately reflects the intent and what is already understood to be included.

Now lets look at what ARIN staff hasn't been included so far;

ANTARCTICA - Southernmost Continent
BOUVET ISLAND - Atlantic Ocean
HEARD AND MC DONALD ISLANDS - Southern Ocean
ST. HELENA - Atlantic Ocean
ST. PIERRE AND MIQUELON - Atlantic Ocean
UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS - mostly Pacific Ocean, 3
(w/disputed claims) in Caribbean Sea

I have left out CANADA, and the UNITED STATES, as I think every one
agrees they shouldn't be included, or if we include them, then we should just
make the change for all of ARIN.

Of these only ST. HELENA and ST. PIERRE AND MIQUELON have
permanent inhabitants, which totals appropriately 10,000 people.  With the
more accurate title proposed above these could easily be included in an
"Atlantic and Caribbean Region" without really changing the scope of this
proposal.

Everything else has no permanent inhabitants, most are uninhibited, a few
have temporary inhabitants, generally military personal, support contractors,
or scientific researches.  Many are protected from development as wildlife
refuges and nature reserves, including ANTARCTICA threw international
treaties. Therefore, it is extremely unlikely that competitive ISP service will
ever be an issue worthy of consideration for these other territories that have
no permanent inhabitants.  Any number resource needed, if there ever was
a need, for these territories can likely be met by the various governmental
entities that administrate them or buy the provider of the infrastructure, likely
satellite.

The possible exception might be ANTARCTICA, but any need for number
resources that can't be met by the various governmental entities or
providers involved, would likely be highly specialized and probably justify a
separate dedicated policy or a special exception to policy.

So I suggest the following small change;

"4.8. Minimum Allocation. The minimum IPv4 allocation size for ISPs from
the Atlantic and Caribbean portion of the ARIN region is /22."

I believe this change provides additionally clarity that BERMUDA, the
BAHAMAS, and the TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS are included in this
policy.  Additionally, it is easy to justify the inclusion of ST. HELENA and ST.
PIERRE AND MIQUELON.

Further, I recommend including the following clarifying language at the end
of 4.8

"Defined as covering the permanently inhabited islands contained in the
Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea, that are not part a State in the United
States or a part of Canada."

See you in LA!

David Farmer				     Email:	farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
Networking & Telecomunication Services
University of Minnesota			     Phone:	612-626-0815
2218 University Ave SE			     Cell:		612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029		     FAX:	612-626-1818