[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 2008-4 - Staff Assessment

David Kessens david.kessens at nsn.com
Thu Oct 9 23:53:29 EDT 2008

David,

On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 05:32:39PM -0500, David Farmer wrote:

> On 9 Oct 2008 David Kessens wrote:
>
> > Let's have a minimum allocation boundary that works for everybody in
> > the ARIN region (or better yet all RIRs) and be done with this.
>
> This is like saying that there should be one and only one global set
> of Zoning laws. And, I don't believe in a one size fits all world.

Good policies are as simple as possible. You don't give any argument
why a smaller uniform allocation size would not work for the whole
ARIN region.

It would be great if the ARIN staff could research for us what they
expect what the impact would be on the routing table when changing the
minimum allocation size for everybody. In fact, this might make even
more sense in the context of the soon to be expected exhaustion of
IPv4 address space.

David Kessens
---