[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Recovery Fund

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Tue Nov 25 05:31:42 EST 2008

________________________________

From: Eliot Lear [mailto:lear at cisco.com]
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 11:00 PM
To: Kevin Kargel
Cc: ppml at arin.net
Subject: Re: [arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Recovery Fund

On 11/24/08 11:12 PM, Kevin Kargel wrote:

[Kevin says:]
US government organizations are not only considering conversion, but are
already mandated to currently provide IPv6 connectivity on their
backbones.  This mandate was proclaimed way back in 2005.  The same is
true of many global governments, of whom the US is not the leading edge.
US DoT are already using IPv6 on government circuits..  I don't know
where you are getting your facts but these were fallacies that only
promoted falsehood.

Really?  And how about the California Department of Motor Vehicles, or
the Indiana Family & Social Services Agency or the Mexican Federales?  I
don't know where you live, but how about your local department of
emergency services or your hospital?  Are they v6 ready?

[Kevin says:]

I can't speak for individual agencies, all I know is that the mandate
has been emplaced by the government that the capability be in place.
Whether local agencies have followed the mandate is up to them.  They
were well warned and well informed.  And yes, if they don't implement
IPv6 they ARE going to have problems.

And actually, yes, the hospital in this rural town will be ready for
IPv6 when the tier2 providers offer it to non-government consumers, as
will the telco/ISP.

One more statement, while it is good and necessary to maintain IPv4 for
existing networks who do not wish to evolve, I do not think there is any
moral imperative (in fact I think it is impossible) to maintain a steady
supply of IPv4 for all comers forever.  You can't get blood from a rock.
Attempting to maintain a limitless supply of a finite resource is a
certain way to fail.

Nobody said ANYTHING about a limitless supply.  What many of us are
asking is what to do with a scarcity.  Some of the above sites will need
address space, and their need will not go unmet, although the usefulness
of their service to the community may diminish.

[Kevin says:] Well, Doh..  IPv4 is running out and all of a sudden
everyone is surprised and amazed that there is going to be a scarcity of
IPv4 IP space..  Do you think this might have anything at all to do with
why forward looking people and organizations are working so hard on
getting IPv6 established?  Of course those sites will need address
space..  why do you think the Government went through the trouble to
mandate IPv6 connectivity?

Eliot

[Kevin says:]

We all need to quit bemoaning the death of IPv4 and start celebrating
the birth of IPv6 .  That is going to have a much better effect on
keeping infrastructures running.  Desperately clinging to the old
technology just impairs the advance of the new.

You are working from a cisco email address Eliot, I am sure you are
aware of the capabilities of Cisco routing hardware to by default
operate a dual stack environment allowing coexistence between IPv4 and
IPv6.  The onset of IPv6 does not scare me, I look forward to it.  There
will be challenges to overcome, and transitional costs..  that is part
of the job.