[arin-ppml] The Library Book Approach to IPv4 Scarcity

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Tue Nov 11 18:10:07 EST 2008

On Oct 30, 2008, at 9:06 AM, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
> Other than the period (see below), this is the degenerate case of
> 2007-14 -- and fear of that degenerate case is/was a major part of the
> opposition to that proposal.  Like many others, I object to _all_
> registrants being subjected to this process regularly, regardless of
> the
> period; it should be up to ARIN staff to decide which registrants
> require this sort of attention -- and where ARIN's (read: our) money
> is
> most efficiently spent.  Reviewing all that documentation ain't cheap.

I agree that the language might be better changed to indicate MAY
instead of MUST.  You MAY be subjected to this process not less than
once every 12 months.

> ARIN is not -- and IMHO should not be -- in the business of levying
> fines.  The only real enforcement powers ARIN has are (a) refusing to
> allocate/assign new resources, and (b) revoking existing resources.  I
> am very leery of changing that.

I absolutely and fundamentally agree with this.  Let's stop talking
about fines, and start talking about reclamation.

>>    * The fee for one 12m period shall be waived if the address holder
>>   * The fee for one 12m period shall be waived if the address holder

I absolutely disagree with both fees, and tricks to avoid fees.
Reclamation is the answer.

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek