[arin-ppml] The Library Book Approach to IPv4 Scarcity

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Tue Nov 11 18:00:01 EST 2008

On Oct 29, 2008, at 2:33 PM, Kevin Kargel wrote:
>> I don't understand why basic recordkeeping that any ISP
>> should be doing, should not be able to be mandated. I have
>> had no problem maintaining an accurate inventory of our IP
>> use. I feel confident enough about our recordkeeping to pay
>> $20 out of my own pocket for any inaccurate or missing record
>> found in our IP database. (This is not a challenge, of course).
>
> I don't understand why anyone would think they have the right to
> tell anyone
> else how to admin their network or what tasks they need to do in
> order to do
> it.  I agree that basic recordkeeping is a must but I don't think we
> have
> the right to make other businesses do things our way.  Even if you
> religiously balance your checkbook I don't think you would be happy
> if they
> made not balancing it a misdemeanor offense.

Read your RSA.   It explicitly says you need to provide this
information on request.  Now you can either keep good records, or
waste a lot of people's time to do it in a hurry on demand.

> I applaud you efforts for accurate and timely recordkeeping.  I do
> not think
> it is reasonable that we expect the rest of the world meets your
> standards.

I believe that it is totally within ARIN's charter to demand that
their assignees track their usage well to avoid waste.  I support and
encourage this effort.

I also believe that this is mandated in the RSA today, and you should
be paying attention to that.

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek