[ppml] Markets, pricing, transparency, 2008-2 / 8.3.9

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Tue Mar 18 23:20:02 EDT 2008

[ from what i said to someone else privately, but politified a bit ]

yes, i was there for the start of arin.  and a very clueful guy from the
fcc explained to me and the other founding board members what the fcc
would have done for a board, i.e. have consumers on it etc.  but i was
the only one even interested.  the general focus was on getting it away
from the usg and nsi, and we would know what was right better for this
new internet thing than anyone else.  hubris.

yes, i was there for the start of icann and talking to the decision
makers. i tried to get folk such as a librarian and a 15 year old with a
modem on the initial board, as well as a real global statesperson.  they
did not think me serious.  well, dr. postel did, but merely thought me
unrealistic.

arin is not directly not concerned with the end customer.  we are mostly
self-serving medium and large isps because that is who can afford and is
motivated to keep sending people to these meetings and reading drivel
such as this message.  it's not an evil plot, it's economics.  who can
afford the time and energy?  to whom is it worth the cost?

and many of us know where the person-hours went at the iana in those
years, and how many of them went to cleaning up whose messes.

randy