[ppml] Markets, pricing, transparency, 2008-2 / 8.3.9

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Tue Mar 18 22:59:01 EDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 08:49:57AM +0900, Randy Bush wrote:
> like icann, we have managed to create a global self-perpetuating
> expensive bureaucracy to do the job which used to be done by one
> computer scientist working part time [1].  i, for one, ain't proud.
>
> randy
>
> ---
>
> [1] - sure it would take more than dr. postel today.  but a thousand
>       times more?

	this assertion, that the IANA was a part time job by one computer
	scientist is false and has been since it was postulated.  Postel
	had Joyce, SRI, DDN, NSI, Suzanne, Anne, Walt, myself, RIPE, and
	then a committee for transition, which included someone named
	Randy Bush.

	What might be a reasonable postualte is that the IANA of yore
	had two attributes that are absent in todays models: a) the
	ability to act unilaterally and subjectively and have the actions
	stick w/ the community...  and b) not be bound by a bottom up
	-only- process.   So the IANA of yore could "balance" the concentrations
	of resources and protect/enable the paths of entry for the divergent
	business/operational model.

	Now if I remember that committee for transition included a guy named
	Randy Bush, who either actively or tactitly approved a set of processes
	which encouraged/fostered a bottom-up, community driven structures
	for a new start up, called ARIN.   Did you forget to include methods
	for protecting access for non-commercial IP use in the design of ARIN?

	That said, If you feel that change is desired, ARIN does have an open
	policy process in place for you to use to change the way we, as a
	community, manage the stewardship we have been entrusted with.

	all that said, I am convinced that this is not the best of all possible
	worlds and am not proud of some choices that have been made, HOWEVER,
	I am proud of (most of) what we have done thus far, think we can do better and
	am not ready to throw in the towel.  And I don't think you are either.

--bill