[ppml] Policy to help the little guys

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Wed Mar 19 01:31:16 EDT 2008

Randy Bush wrote:

> arin is not directly not concerned with the end customer.  we are mostly
> self-serving medium and large isps because that is who can afford and is
> motivated to keep sending people to these meetings and reading drivel
> such as this message.  it's not an evil plot, it's economics.  who can
> afford the time and energy?  to whom is it worth the cost?

So let's discuss some policies to help the end consumer.  I, for one,
spend my time and energy reading and writing this drivel because I have
an overactive sense of altruism, or something, and enjoy it.  My
employer doesn't particularly care if I do or don't.

One policy proposal that might help consumers is 2008-3, Community
Networks IPv6 Allocation.  I think I support that proposal, since in my
own work on mesh networks I can definitely see the need for PI space at
the community network layer.  Does anyone else have any thoughts on
whether adding a community networks criterion to get a PI /48 is a good
idea?

What about shifting the minimum allocation size?  Should we reopen that
discussion and consider /24 or /23 instead of /22?

I'm not sure what else the "little guys" need as far as policy.  Does
anyone else have any other suggestions?

-Scott