[ppml] Markets, pricing, transparency, 2008-2 / 8.3.9

Cliff Bedore cliffb at cjbsys.bdb.com
Mon Mar 17 12:16:04 EDT 2008

At the risk of repeating myself, I think 8.3.9 should be deleted in its
entirety.  All ARIN needs to do in the process is allow 3rd parties to
transfer IP addresses directly from one party to another without being
returned to ARIN first.  The numbers must be properly registered to the
transferor and the transferee must justify the need.  Other than that, ARIN
should have nothing to do with the dealings of the two parties.  They can
trade money, resort properties or pork futures and it's nobody's business what
the transaction is.

In a prior message, I commented on other changes I think need to be made to
2008-2 but they mostly deal with the idea of ARIN having as little to do with
negotiations between the 2(or more) parties and only certify the validity of
the transfer.

Remember that this policy will only take effect when ARIN is likely not to be
able to meet some requirements for addresses.  Why would someone pay money for
something they can get for free from ARIN.  If ARIN doesn't have it, the
seekers of addresses should be able to get the addresses from any legitimate
provider and there should be no need to make any details of the transaction
public.

As an aside, I also agree that the SEC discussion has been noted, the AC and
BoT have indicated they will look at it in further detail if 2008-2 proceeds.

Cliff

--
Cliff Bedore
7403 Radcliffe Dr. College Park MD 20740