[ppml] 2008-2 IPv4 transfer policy

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Fri Mar 14 08:44:26 EDT 2008

> > Sure it does Jo. You might have to "partner" with the existing
> > registrant for a few months while you build the system (their
> > contribution being the IP address space and the cheering
> squad) before
> > you could then justify a transfer under 8.2. In what practical way
> > does that hinder the gray-market transfer of the block?
>
> Look, this topic has been cleared defined by ARIN numerous
> times, I'm not going to waste my time with more of your "how
> much can I deliberately misread the existing documentation" nonsense.

I think this discussion illustrates how policymaking is different
from network design and operations. In the technology world, you
either do things correctly, according to the documentation, or
it just doesn't work. Black or white.

In the world of policymaking, there is no black and white. Everything
is various shades of grey, so a grey market sale of IP addresses
will work, even though it goes against the documentation. Sometimes
you need to add a white lie or two to make it the right shade of
grey, but that is exactly how people operate. And policy is all
about people and processes, not really about technology at all.

Which implies that if you want to make successful policies, you
shouldn't strive for black and white solutions, because you will
just end up introducing loopholes that could make your policy
entirely ineffective. Accept that policy has some grey areas,
and work like an artist, to blend various shades of grey into
a multichromatic work of art.

--Michael Dillon