[ppml] Restrictions on transferor deaggregation in 2008-2: IPv4Transfer Policy Proposal

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Wed Mar 12 18:01:32 EDT 2008

On Mar 12, 2008, at 11:21 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> You could take your broken car to an auto mechanic, for example,
> and ask him "how much is it going to cost me for you to diagnose
> the problem in my car so that I can go fix it myself"  If this
> auto mechanic is worth his salt, he's going to be a good enough
> businessman to simply tell you that he would be willing to look at
> it and tell you how much it will cost to fix - but he's not going to
> tell you what is broken and exactly how to fix it.  If he was actually
> willing to diagnose it and tell you exactly how to fix it, he would
> be a pretty poor mechanic in which case his advice wouldn't be worth
> what it cost to start with.

Not the best analogy.  Many really talented mechanics would rather
tell you how if you can fix it yourself, make you happy and send you
on your way.  They are too busy for easy stuff.  My mechanic fits
that description.

Race engine builders are an extreme example of that.  If they
diagnose that it can be fixed by someone else, they'll return the
bike/engine with details notes of how to fix, no charge.  They're too
busy to bother working on stuff that doesn't need them.

(no useful content here, just saying that your analogy doesn't work
in real world)

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek