[ppml] Restrictions on transferor deaggregation in 2008-2: IPv4Transfer Policy Proposal

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Wed Mar 12 14:21:38 EDT 2008

We ARE a colo provider (among other things)  We HAVE an unused /23 (among
our other assignments).  If you came to us and asked this I would say
"why would we rent you the /23 for less money than we can make by renting
out our racks, power, connectivity + the /23 to some other customer?"

> I don't think there's any way this can be prevented under current
> policies, and even though it feels wrong I don't know how you can
> prevent this without preventing other more "legitimate" business.

It can't except that it's stupid business.  Fundamentally, all of
us Internet Service Providers are in this business for the money, right?
Well, if we own the infrastructure to justify having the numbers in
the first place, we are going to make more money using those numbers
for selling that infrastructure, than if we just sell those numbers.

You could take your broken car to an auto mechanic, for example,
and ask him "how much is it going to cost me for you to diagnose
the problem in my car so that I can go fix it myself"  If this
auto mechanic is worth his salt, he's going to be a good enough
businessman to simply tell you that he would be willing to look at
it and tell you how much it will cost to fix - but he's not going to
tell you what is broken and exactly how to fix it.  If he was actually
willing to diagnose it and tell you exactly how to fix it, he would
be a pretty poor mechanic in which case his advice wouldn't be worth
what it cost to start with.

What your talking about is ONLY applicable to ISP's or colo providers who
have far MORE numbers than they can use - and that's a violation of the
RSA in which case ARIN can take the numbers away, or to legacy holders
who it's been said many times on the list, that there's too few resources
tied up in the legacy holders for them selling them off to make any
significant difference in IPv4 runout.

Ted