[arin-ppml] Q1 - ARIN address transfer policy: whythetriggerdate?

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Wed Jun 25 10:22:22 EDT 2008

> >It would not look like lobbying or promotion.

> Presently we're swimming in web sites full of IPv6 deployment advice:
>
>  http://www.getipv6.info

Agreed. There is plenty of advice, lobbying and promotion already
available.

> If there is a need for ARIN to do more in this space, then
> let's discuss it, but I do think it's important to consider
> what other initiatives are already underway.

That's why we need to identify a gap in what is already out there
and then fill that gap, if it is within ARIN's scope.

In the modern world, any open source development and deployment
effort focuses a team of developers around an issue-tracking system.
But IPv6 is so amorphous that there is no such team, and even though
IPv6 was originally developed in the IETF, it would be a stretch
to say that the IETF "owns" it. In truth, the community owns IPv6
and the community has to get an issue tracker in place to focus
a community of developers. ISSUES are anything that blocks, delays
or limits IPv6 deployments. DEVELOPERS are anyone who has a role to
play in analyzing, documenting, and resolving these ISSUES. An ISSUE
TRACKER is a special piece of software based around a database.
Although many open-source issue trackers now include things like wikis,
forums, and mailing list archives with the core software, I'm only
suggesting that ARIN install and operate the core issue tracking
function. We already have a wiki for IPv6 and if a mailing list is
needed, we already have the tool for that too.

Fundamentally, this sort of thing is within the scope of ARIN's
charter.

Since the wikis that you listed are less focused than what I am
proposing, some issues would come from information on those wikis.
And as issues are resolved, I would expect folks to mine the information
from the issue tracker and put it on the wikis. In addition, ARIN
itself could report regular stats on the number of issues and the
various severity levels.

--Michael Dillon