[ppml] Policy Proposal 2008-2: IPv4 Transfer Policy Proposal

Cliff Bedore cliffb at cjbsys.bdb.com
Fri Feb 29 10:27:02 EST 2008

Leo and Owen

One of my concerns is that ARIN not get caught by unintended consequences of
this change.  I know what you intend and it may be the lesser of many evils
but I also know that as things become scarcer, people beccome more "creative"
about what they are willing to do to get their share and a little more.  ARIN
is a group that relies on the goodness of people/organizations to function.  I
admire that and respect it but I think ARIN needs to recognize that there are
vultures out there who will try almost anything to get something they think
they deserve.  I worry that like companies who don't protect their trademarks
aggresively enough and lose them, ARIN by adopting this policy might lose the
battle about numbers being property in spite of what they say.  Companies lose
sexual harassment cases all the time because even though their policies say
one thing, their actions (or inactions) say another.

I think we need to make sure the ARIN attorneys look at this from the
standpoint of "How can I beat the system".  I expect they are honorable and
above board and that's probably a disadvantage when trying to ensure all the
i's are dotted and the t's are crossed and the vultures are kept at bay.

Cliff

--
Cliff Bedore
7403 Radcliffe Dr. College Park MD 20740