[ppml] Policy Proposal 2008-2: IPv4 Transfer Policy Proposal

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Feb 29 02:00:17 EST 2008

> I think 2007-17 provides for such reclamation albeit without any money
> changing hands.

2007-17 is proposed, but, is not policy.  Hopefully it will receive
support
and be adopted after the Denver meeting in its current form.  If you
support the revised version, please say so on PPML.  If you don't,
please
also say so and let us know why.

> I think this argument lends credence to the claim that numbers have
> become
> property.
>
> I just see this as a very slippery slope that once ARIN starts down,
> there
> will be no going back and there may be unforseen consequences of
> numbers
> becoming de facto property.  I.e. once IP numbers become property,
> who is ARIN
> to regulate it as a monopoly.  You can say it's not property but if
> it walks
> like a duck and quacks like a duck.....  I just see this becoming a
> legal
> nightmare.  It might be possible to avoid the property problem if
> the numbers
> have to be returned to ARIN and then redistributed but I can't see
> how payment
> between transferee and transferor could be made in that case.

I think that's a very valid concern.  One which I think the AC is
taking very
seriously, and, one which we have discussed very carefully with counsel.
We are very fortunate to have two excellent lawyers, one of whom is also
an accomplished economist assisting us in developing this policy.

However, I agree that we are threading a needle here and that these
concerns remain a significant factor in considering this policy.

Owen