[ppml] Policy Proposal 2008-2: IPv4 Transfer Policy Proposal

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri Feb 29 10:49:39 EST 2008

In a message written on Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 10:27:02AM -0500, Cliff Bedore wrote:
> I think we need to make sure the ARIN attorneys look at this from the
> standpoint of "How can I beat the system".  I expect they are honorable and
> above board and that's probably a disadvantage when trying to ensure all the
> i's are dotted and the t's are crossed and the vultures are kept at bay.

The ARIN AC has worked closely with both Steve Ryan, ARIN Council
and Ben Edelman, who many saw at the last meeting for his Economics
background, but in addition to his PhD in economics also has a J.D.
from Harvard Law and is admitted to the Massachusetts Bar.  They
both provided significant input that the AC used to better craft
the policy language to strengthen ARIN's legal position were this
policy to be adopted.

That's not to say they don't have some concerns.  Nothing is 100%
in law, particularly when there is limited case law on the subject.
I believe both will be at the Denver meeting able to answer questions
about legal risk.  As with all policies, ARIN Council will generate
a legal review of the policy prior to the meeting which should both
be posted to PPML and reviewed at the meeting.

I strongly urge anyone with legal concerns to either come to Denver,
or participate remotely.