[ppml] "Who's afraid of IPv4 address depletion? Apparently no one."

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Sat Feb 9 08:45:47 EST 2008

At 2:10 PM +0900 2/9/08, Randy Bush wrote:
>can we get real here?  what is the likelihood of someone *major* putting up a service only reachable over ipv6?

I expect the likelihood is pretty high, once they have no other choice?

>people will move when it is in their business interest to do so.  what does it take to make your enterprise dual stack?  john, how far have you progressed?  given the government is your big customer, i presume you have gone in early and big.  care to tell us how easy it was and how much it really benefits beyond a check-box?
>before getting on high horse, check for saddle or be damned good at bareback on a damned tough horse.
>(queries over at arin.net)

Randy -

My day job is over here, thanks...

[...:~] jcurran% dig +short servervault.com aaaa
2610:60::1002:203:47ff:fe73:b1f7
2610:60::1002:203:47ff:fe73:b21f

We haven't put the MX records in yet, but that is in progress.

And to answer your specific question, IPv6 enablement has
been painless so far.

/John