[ppml] "Who's afraid of IPv4 address depletion? Apparently no one."

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Sat Feb 9 00:10:18 EST 2008

can we get real here?  what is the likelihood of someone *major* putting
up a service only reachable over ipv6?

people will move when it is in their business interest to do so.  what
does it take to make your enterprise dual stack?  john, how far have you
progressed?  given the government is your big customer, i presume you
have gone in early and big.  care to tell us how easy it was and how
much it really benefits beyond a check-box?

we went in early, in fact the earliest commercial roll.  and we have
regressed, i.e. some services are not maintained over ipv6 that used to
be because no one used them and they caused pain.  try an smtp service
with no ipv6 dnsbl, etc..  we're working on changing that, but it's not
easy to justify.

drc, with great political and bureaucratic pain, has been rolling ipv6.
so he has his money where his mouth is.  how are the rest of the mouths
here?

roam.psg.com:/usr/home/randy> dig +short arin.net. mx
10 smtp2.arin.net.
20 smtp1.arin.net.
30 smtp3.arin.net.
roam.psg.com:/usr/home/randy> host smtp1.arin.net
smtp1.arin.net has address 192.149.252.33
roam.psg.com:/usr/home/randy> host smtp2.arin.net
smtp2.arin.net has address 192.149.252.32
roam.psg.com:/usr/home/randy> host smtp3.arin.net
smtp3.arin.net has address 199.43.0.197

before getting on high horse, check for saddle or be damned good at
bareback on a damned tough horse.

randy