[ppml] "Who's afraid of IPv4 address depletion? Apparently no one."

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Fri Feb 8 23:48:23 EST 2008

At 8:40 PM -0800 2/8/08, David Conrad wrote:
>On Feb 8, 2008, at 8:36 PM, John Curran wrote:
>>Wouldn't you actually want to tell them before, so that they could have enough time to plan accordingly?
>
>See Randy's comment.
>
>(randy) "i am sure our marketing departments will all be in a rush to be the first to tell our customers we can not serve them."

It impacts everyone at the same time; i.e. it doesn't
matter if it's your ISP or another one now using IPv6
for new customers, you won't be able to reach them
without IPv6 connectivity (or transition mechanism).

That's not telling customers you can't serve them, only
that they may need to also have IPv6 if they want to
reach the entire Internet, since pieces of it are using
IPv6 to connect.

/John