[arin-ppml] The LRSA $100 fee...

Howard, W. Lee Lee.Howard at stanleyassociates.com
Fri Aug 29 14:09:01 EDT 2008

It is my humble opinion that domain name registrars suck.  The
best of them provides lousy service and near-useless WHOIS.
Competition has ruined registry services by starting a race to
the bottom in price and service.

It may be the case in an all-IPv6 world that very little
processing is required for initial allocations/assignments.
Until we have better-automated authentication, changes to
records will still be expensive in labor.  We could go to a
transactional model, but then every update (for community
benefit) has a disincentive fee.

> As far as Legacy Agreements go, I see no reason so sign
> anything now that might waive any rights I may (or may not)
> have, in advance of some other ruling compelling me.

What rights do you have that would be waived under the Legacy
RSA?

> But I am not opposed to simply signing up and paying a fair
> rate for a service that is limited to the whois and reverse

What's fair?

Lee