[arin-ppml] The LRSA $100 fee...

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Fri Aug 29 16:27:23 EDT 2008

Actually, it's worse than that

What happens now is that since registrars give so little help
other than the FAQ's and such on their websites, that now
when Joe Sixpack wants a domain name, he has to pay a
consultant to actually register it for him

In the old days Joe Sixpack could call up Network Solutions on
their 800 number, pay his $40 and get a 1 year registration on
the domain.  In the process he would get someone on the phone who
would take the time to tell him exactly what he was getting and
how to use it.

Today, Joe Sixpack has to pay an Internet consultant $50 to
use a webinterface on someplace like towcows to register the
name, and then Joe Sixpack has to pay towcows $20 for the domain
name.  And the Internet Consultant is half the time going to
barely know a bit more than Joe Sixpack does.

So the net result is for the end-user, prices have actually
RISEN and service has DROPPED.

The ONLY beneficiaries of the domain name competition that I
can see are spammers who go though domain names like candy, and
the sex industry who now finds it immensely cheap to setup
innumerable variations of seeherpantiescomeoff.com.

Ted