[arin-ppml] ARIN's Authority - One view (was: Re: LRSA concerns)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Aug 23 14:23:20 EDT 2008

> 1) Formally announce that ARIN supports the data that suggests IPv4
> will run
> out in the near future.

This has been done in multiple ways in multiple fora.

> 2) Remove associations between IPv4 and IPv6 allocations in the NRPM
> 6.5.8
> so that IPv6 allocations are based solely upon their own merit.

There are policies which provide for IPv6 allocations solely on their
own
merit.  The provisions in 6.5.8 are intended to make it EASIER for IPv4
holders to obtain IPv6 space with lower administrative overhead than
if they had not already been through the ARIN process to get their IPv4
space.  If we removed 6.5.8, it would only remove this simplification
for existing IPv4 users to transition.  It would not make anything
easier in terms of getting IPv6 on its own merit. Is that what you
intend?

> 3) Provide a mechanism for legacy holders to obtain IPv6 space without
> having to make any modifications to their existing legacy allocation.

Legacy holders can apply for IPv6 space under existing policy without
regard to their IPv4 holdings if they so desire.  In so doing, no
modification
to their IPv4 space occurs.  This is usually not the most favorable
set of
terms under which to do so, but, it is available.

> 4) Maintain a promotional fee structure until the last IPv4 address is
> allocated.

So far, there has been no indication that promotional fee structures
have accomplished much.  However, I'm not opposed to this idea.

> 5) Focus marketing and outreach resources on the IPv4 runout and IPv6.

I think this is already happening

Owen