[arin-ppml] ARIN's Authority - One view (was: Re: LRSA concerns)

Howard, W. Lee Lee.Howard at stanleyassociates.com
Sat Aug 23 14:43:53 EDT 2008

> > What can we do to ease the transition to IPv6?
> >
> 1) Formally announce that ARIN supports the data that
> suggests IPv4 will run out in the near future.

We have said "We're running out, start using IPv6."
http://www.arin.net/announcements/2007/20070801.html
http://www.arin.net/announcements/2007/20070521.html
I would not be surprised if we issue further statements.  I
personally am comfortable saying, "The best current data
suggest IANA will run out of unallocated IPv4 addresses in
early 2011."

> 2) Remove associations between IPv4 and IPv6 allocations in
> the NRPM 6.5.8 so that IPv6 allocations are based solely upon
> their own merit.

What criteria would be appropriate for evaluating end-user
assignments?  This would be perfect for a policy proposal.

> 3) Provide a mechanism for legacy holders to obtain IPv6
> space without having to make any modifications to their
> existing legacy allocation.

That seems inconsistent with your #2.

> 4) Maintain a promotional fee structure until the last IPv4
> address is allocated.

We decided to stop waiving all IPv6 fees, but fees are partially
waived for the next several years.
http://www.arin.net/billing/fee_schedule.html#waivers
90% waived in 2008.  75% waived in 2009.  And so on.

Also, if you're already paying for allocation services for
IPv4, your initial IPv6 allocation is free, and you only pay
the larger of your IPv4 of IPv6 renewal.

> 5) Focus marketing and outreach resources on the IPv4 runout and IPv6.

Working on it.  I'd like some more specific suggestions on this.

Lee