[arin-ppml] ARIN's Authority - One view (was: Re: LRSA concerns)

Michael K. Smith mksmith at adhost.com
Sat Aug 23 14:09:58 EDT 2008

On 8/23/08 10:29 AM, "Howard, W. Lee" <Lee.Howard at stanleyassociates.com>
wrote:

> Mike Smith wrote:
>> I would like to see ARIN focus on the end-game of IPv4 and
>> the adoption of IPv6, both through policy and press.  I think
>> all of the efforts to manipulate and control IPv4 space are,
>> as Randy put it, just rearranging the deck chairs on the
>> Titanic, and presents a picture to the public that there are
>> ways to artificially extend the life of IPv4.  It would be
>> better if ARIN said "IPv4 is on its way out, we'll manage
>> what we have left, but we're not going to work at extending
>> its natural life."
>

> What can we do to ease the transition to IPv6?
>
> Lee

1) Formally announce that ARIN supports the data that suggests IPv4 will run
out in the near future.
2) Remove associations between IPv4 and IPv6 allocations in the NRPM 6.5.8
so that IPv6 allocations are based solely upon their own merit.
3) Provide a mechanism for legacy holders to obtain IPv6 space without
having to make any modifications to their existing legacy allocation.
4) Maintain a promotional fee structure until the last IPv4 address is
allocated.
5) Focus marketing and outreach resources on the IPv4 runout and IPv6.

Regards,

Mike