[arin-ppml] What can we do to ease the transition?

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Sat Aug 23 14:12:45 EDT 2008

John Curran wrote:
> On Aug 23, 2008, at 1:33 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
>> see slides 40 onward of
>>   <http://rip.psg.com/~randy/080603.afnog-v6-op-reality.pdf>
>> note that no action beyond what is being done already is asked of
>> the rirs.

i lied, well have regretted the absoluteness of my statement.

i think the five /8s proposal (already passed in arin, lacnic, and
afrinic, apnic and ripe to go) is a wise one.  i think the proposal in
apnic for how to use that last /8 is a wise one which gives a path to
ensure new entrants can get enough v4 space to run nat-pt or whatever so
the transition can work without balkanization.

> Randy's been around long enough to have seen the consequences
> of accidently spurring organizations to "get involved"... :-)

a few years back, i had a tee shirt made which says "running code and
run away before someone comes to help"

> I'd like to add that it would be nice if every organization
> worked on getting its public-facing servers (web, email, dns)
> reachable via IPv6 as soon as possible.

yes!  as a hint, here is what i had to do,
   <http://rip.psg.com/~randy/ipv6-westin.html>
ymwv

randy