[arin-ppml] What can we do to ease the transition? (was: ARIN's Authority - One view)

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Sat Aug 23 13:51:51 EDT 2008

On Aug 23, 2008, at 1:33 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
> see slides 40 onward of
>   <http://rip.psg.com/~randy/080603.afnog-v6-op-reality.pdf>
> note that no action beyond what is being done already is asked of
> the rirs.

Randy's been around long enough to have seen the consequences
of accidently spurring organizations to "get involved"... :-)

I'd like to add that it would be nice if every organization
worked on getting its public-facing servers (web, email, dns)
reachable via IPv6 as soon as possible.  Even ISP's who are
presently working on very real issues with full IPv6 internal
deployment might want to consider at least IPv6-enabling their
public servers in the interim.

The reason for this is simple: the workload on any transition
mechanisms is going to be somewhat proportional to the number
of public-facing resources which are still IPv4-only.  There
is also the benefit of obtaining some real-world experience
with IPv6 outside of the lab but still short of swinging your
backbone routing...

/John

p.s. My personal rant along these lines is contained in RFC5211.