[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Whois Integrity Policy Proposal

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Wed Aug 20 17:49:45 EDT 2008

In a message written on Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 01:27:35PM -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> Seriously, why doesen't ARIN have an employee that has this
> assigned to them as their full time job - the finding and
> returning to the address pool of fallow legacy assignments.

While I'm not above likely the idea of returning the blocks to the
free pool, the sad truth is many of these blocks are in active use
and simply no one has ever updated whois.  I believe staff expends
a ton of effort tracking this down /when they need to/, but thus
far have not expended the effort to just do it for all "because
they can".

Page 24 of my presentation in St Louis:
http://www.arin.net/meetings/minutes/ARIN_XVIII/PDF/thursday/WHOIS_Bicknell.pdf

70 POC records have UUCP e-mail addresses.

69 POC records have BITNET e-mail addresses.

I looked at the time, all were on "legacy" records.  The 5 I spot
checked were all still in use.  In all probability, that's 139
legacy networks that don't even have a valid e-mail address.

On page 16 we see that a full 10% of /all POC's in the database/
were last updated /before ARIN existed/!  That's over 17,000
individual entries that really should be verified.  Even if it took
only 5 minutes to make a phone call or send and e-mail, read the
reply and check the record that's still a half a man-year just to
do the basic checks.  If only 5% then needed an hour of work to
track down the holder that's another 4+ man YEARS of work.

If we really wanted ARIN to go back and verify all of these old
entires I could see them adding 3-4 staff and the process taking
2-3 years.  Who's going to pay for that?  The good people who've
been paying their bill every year for the last 10 years providing
free service to all the people who can't even keep a valid e-mail
on file?