[ppml] IPv6 flawed?

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Mon Sep 17 15:13:24 EDT 2007

On 17-sep-2007, at 20:02, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

[cut illuminating example]

> For the people that talk about IPv6 renumbering like you just flip a
> switch and change the prefix in the router, may I humbly suggest
> you are out of your fricking mind.

Somehow, deep within myself, I find the ability to not care much
about the plight of these people. On the IETF list, a number of
people have been arguing that it's possible to design an IPv6 network
such that renumbering it is doable. Others have argued that there are
numerous designs that make renumbering very hard.

Both are right. The questions are: how much is an organization
prepared to pay to avoid renumbering, and how much is the community
prepared to pay to make things such that certain organizations don't
have to renumber? The answer to the first question is that there are
only some 20000 organizations in the world that pay the RIR/ISP fees
for portable address space and buy equipment and hire people to run
BGP. The answer to the second is that the current level is widely
considered painful but allowing PI with IPv6 shows that the pain has
so far been bearable.