[ppml] Comments on ARIN's reverse DNS mapping policy

John Von Essen john at quonix.net
Tue Sep 11 10:34:49 EDT 2007

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

I appreciate the comments, but I think some people still are
misunderstanding the issues.

Let me clarify, my post has nothing to do with Org's reversing IPs
with valid PTRs. If an Org doesn't want to reverse an an IP thats
fine, and like Owen said, with no PTR, and instantaneous NX Domain
error comes back, no timeout.

But that is not that scenario I am describing. Consider the following
real-world example:

# nslookup 208.72.239.200
Server:         4.2.2.2
Address:        4.2.2.2#53
** server can't find 200.239.72.208.in-addr.arpa: NXDOMAIN

Thats good. The AS who advertises 208.72.239.0/24 has the
239.72.208.in-addr.arpa zone configured in their name server, an SOA
an NS record exists, but there is no PTR data. And that is perfectly
fine.

Now consider this...

# nslookup 76.161.191.192

And the above took about 20 seconds to return. The AS who advertises
76.161.192.0/24 (and many other /24's) does not have the
192.161.76.in-addr.arpa zone configured at all on their DNS server.
This is a problem for the user of that IP, and any person on the
internet that has to talk to that IP since it will create a
burdensome dns timeouts.

I'm sorry, but that second example is simply unacceptable. This may
sound rude, but the amount of money ARIN brings in for ASN
registrations, membership, and IP range allocations - the buck has to
stop with ARIN when it comes to AS's who completely misconfigure
massive in-addr.arpa zones and potentially create the environment to
slow down dns traffic throughout the internet.

When ARIN delegates reverse authority to the DNS servers of an AS
that does not have in-addr.arpa zone configured at all (for IP's in
use), ARIN is openly supporting a practice that hurts the internet by
allowing these dns timeouts to propagate. ARIN should take
responsibility.

All I am saying is simply state in policy, that if an AS advertises a
prefix and uses an IP range, that in-addr.arpa zone for those IPs has
to be at least be configured to return an SOA and avoid this problem
of timeouts. If they dont, that AS is violating policy, and if they
dont resolve it, the dns delegation would be removed all together -
with a specified time table (say within 30 days).

-John

On Sep 11, 2007, at 8:34 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:

> Also, such a server should _NOT_ cause delays.  It should
> instantaneously
> return an NXDOMAIN result.
>
> Your issue isn't lame servers.  Your issue is servers with
> incomplete data,
> which is an operational issue well outside of the scope of Address
> Assignment
> policy.

Thanks,
John Von Essen