[ppml] Comments on ARIN's reverse DNS mapping policy

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Tue Sep 11 09:31:05 EDT 2007

Thus spake John Von Essen
> Maria, I understand your comments, but consider this... The
> current policy on reverse dns mapping "almost" does the job
> - it just needs to go a tiny bit further.
>
> Current policy dictates that you have to map an in-addr.arpa
> zone for your prefix in order for your nameservers to not be
> considered lame.
> Lets not forget that reverse DNS plays an important role in the
> proper operation of many protocols throughout the internet, and
> one of ARINs most important jobs is delegation of reverse dns
> authority.  ARIN has a responsibility to make sure that the DNS
> server they are delegating reverse authority too is maintained
> to at least a minimum level of efficiency.

I'm tempted to say "your ISP should be free to sell you bad service if
you're willing to buy it", but that's not terribly helpful to you.

Instead, what I'll say is that you are welcome to submit a proposal to
modify the policy "a tiny bit" in the way you wish.  Unfortunately you've
missed the cut-off for the current cycle, but that means you have about five
months to get the details worked out for the next cycle.  If you're looking
for someone to help you with the wording or process for such a proposal,
please make a more explicit request for that so we know how to help.

I'm personally neutral on the topic until we have a proposal to debate
(preferably after Albuquerque).