[ppml] Comments on ARIN's reverse DNS mapping policy

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Sep 11 09:04:11 EDT 2007

On Sep 10, 2007, at 10:12 PM, Azinger, Marla wrote:

> Well, as Randy pointed out ...maybe I am leaping a bit.  But I have
> had circular conversations where that wasnt viewed as such a leap.
> Be it strictly routing or dns success/failures, they both have
> fallen into the  "it shouldnt be dictated by ARIN" conversations.
> And I guess pointing out in an obviouse way that they shouldnt be
> in the same conversation is needed.  So...thanks Randy for getting
> me thinking straight again.
>
> So to your point John, I would say its worth writing up and
> submitting it.  Clearly you have good rational and a need.  I would
> be interested to see how many people would support it and what type
> of Con's would be pointed out.

1.	This is not about lame server delegations. It's about
operationally incomplete
	DNS data.
2.	DNS is not routing, but, DNS Operations, like routing, are outside
of ARIN's scope.
3.	It still doesn't have anything to do with stewardship over the
address space
	or address assignment policy.
4.	This is an operational issue.
5.	ARIN is an address policy forum and not an operational forum.

If you want a policy body, I'd say this belongs to IETF more than any
other
policy body I can think of.  It is clearly out of scope for ARIN in
my opinion.

Owen